Personalized Attention From An

Can I work and receive Social Security Disability benefits?

On Behalf of | May 3, 2017 | Blog

If you are receiving Social Security Disability or SSDI benefits in Los Angeles because of a work-related injury, you may be struggling to pay your bills. You feel that you have recovered enough from your injuries to return work so you can make more money, but you may be hesitant to do so because you are not sure if it will affect your Social Security benefits

The Social Security Administration has a program in place for workers who are receiving SSDI benefits and ready to return to work. You should learn about the requirements so you can avoid conflicts and complications with your benefits. 

Complete a trial work period 

Even though you may feel that you are ready to return to work, your injuries may prove otherwise. To ensure that you still have some income while you make the transition back to work, you can complete a trial work period. The SSDI work trial period is so you can see if you are indeed capable of returning to work. 

You can test your ability to return to work while receiving SSDI for nine qualifying months within a rolling 60-month period. To remain eligible, you must report all work activity. You must also report your work functions to the Social Security Administration. Every month that you work is not considered a trial month unless you earn more than $840 in wages as an employee or work more than 80 hours if self-employed. 

Upon completion of the trial work period 

Once you have completed nine qualifying months within a rolling five-year period, your SSDI benefits will cease. You can apply for an extension that is good for up to 36 months. However, your work income cannot exceed a certain threshold. Your SSDI payments are suspended for each month that your work income is above that threshold. 

Matters involving Social Security Disability benefits can become complicated, especially if you are not familiar with the process. You may find it beneficial to speak with an attorney about your situation for guidance.

FindLaw Network