Personalized Attention From An

Where do you get income after an injury?

On Behalf of | Aug 2, 2019 | Social Security Disability

There are many ways that you could maintain income to preserve your way of life should you become unable to work due to an injury. However, you may find that many of these programs do not provide automatic benefits, and may need some management from you.

Furthermore, the benefits you receive from one source could affect the money you get from somewhere else. That is why it is probably important to examine all of the income you have as a whole when thinking about how you should proceed with your social security case. That process might start with looking at what forms of public assistance you receive.

Public assistance comes in two major forms: social insurance and social welfare. SSDI, or social security disability insurance, would probably form at least part of the public assistance you receive if you or a member of your family became disabled and therefore unable to maintain current duties at work. Therefore, social insurance is a type of program designed to help you out if something unexpected happens. 

Insurance and welfare programs often go together. For example, as discussed on ABC 10, you could be able to stay in the CalWORKs program for longer than the lifetime cap of 48 months if you were disabled, such as if you were suffering from a neck injury or other debilitating joint problem.

Many of these programs have requirements and restrictions. In the beginning, it may seem like you are learning a whole new set of rules just to get the money you need to put your life back together after a terrible accident. Many people find that it gets easier over time, and you do not have to face the process alone. 

Whatever you decide to do, please remember that this is only general information. It is not specific legal advice for your situation.

FindLaw Network